Here are simple steps on how to format a ssd drive:
1. Open the Control Panel and go to System and Maintenance. Now click administrative tools and double-click on Computer Management. (As a shortcut, you can right-click on My Computer - This Computer in Windows 8 - and click Manage.
2. Click Disk Management in the left-hand pane. If it isn't visible, expand the Storage section of the menu.
3. Work out which drive is your SSD by its capacity in the list of drives. If you're unsure because two drives have the same capacity, disconnect any other drives that you can to avoid formatting the wrong disk.
4. Right-click on the drive and choose Format… from the menu.
5. Select your options for the name and file system, then make sure 'Perform a quick format' is checked and click OK.