I sometimes wonder why some filthy rich Whales don't give upvote to some minnows and plankton posts which is worthy to be upvoted. Some minnows who work very hard to come up with extraordinary blog post due end up sad because of their low payouts and zero upvotes from Whales. This have made some people gave up on their dreams on Steemit because they already knew they won't get support from Whales after their hard work.
I once asked a friend of mine who used to write articles on Steemit about why he quited Steemit. He told me "Steemit is very difficult for minnows like me. Those who are meant to support minnows aren't supporting them but they keep supporting themselves". After hearing this, I was a bit shocked because I don't know what fate has in store for me.
I sometimes get astonished when I see some Whale wasting their steem power on flagging some other whale posts not knowing an upvote can change the life of a minnow completely. This is why most minnows and planktons are always scared or shy to make some valuable posts or publish fact related articles because we are scared of getting flagged from some Whales who may not be interested in our posts.
There are also some good and compassionate Whales on Steemit who will always support minnows and planktons for their great work and effort to add more to the community. I know of @curie who will always reward authors with great writer skills, I know of @surpasssingoogle who developed #ulogs and @steemgigs for the purpose of integrating Steemit and also supporting minnows and planktons. I also know of @good-kharma who developed #esteem even though millions of steemit users earn bountifully for using the @esteem Application to write blog posts on Steemit. I also use this medium to commend the developers, curators and founder of musing for developing such a great platform on steem blockchain which has inspired the lives of most minnows and planktons for their great rewards (upvotes) just for providing quality answers and asking sensible questions.
There are also many other great Whales on Steemit apart from the listed ones which I may not know about but they are actually supporting minnows and planktons on Steemit giving them hope on the platform.
After going through your question, I was able to come up with the below reasons why most Whales on Steemit don't upvote minnows and planktons post. These the below reasons I was able to gather.
1) GREED : Some Whales are very self centered when it comes to making money which increases their greed for money on Steemit. These type of people are always selfish when it comes to upvoting minnows and plankton posts because they always believe supporting them may decrease their income or wealth not knowing it is just a false thought.
I hope these type of people can just help a minnow or few minnows with some little amount of upvote and observe how they get paid bountifully in return.
2) COMPETITION : Some Whales are always in competition with each other and they always want to be at the top. This is something everyone want as an individual but I do believe that the best means of competition is to become better more than you were yesterday. In the case of this type of people, it is a different case. They are ready to do anything that can get them to the top which makes them less considerate about some minnows and planktons.
3) INABILITY TO NOTICE SOME MINNOWS AND PLANKTON POSTS: Actually, most Whales are ready to give full upvotes to minnows and planktons but the problem is that these posts don't just get to them. This is why some minnows make use of bid bots just to get noticed by some Whales which will upvote them for their quality posts.
You just have to keep making good quality posts without giving up till you get noticed by Whales for your handwork. This may help you get upvoted by Whales. Also, try as much as possible to make good comments on Whales posts and always be with them till you get noticed because they love to support hardworking peeps.
4)REDUCTION IN VOTING POWER: Do you really think some minnows and plankton aren't getting any upvote from Whales? I don't think so because some Whales do upvote some minnows posts but the problem is that their voting power is already low due to their numerous voting support activities.
The fact is that some Whales are actually upvoting you but it might not reflect much due to their reduced voting power.
5) PLAGIARISM: As we all know that Steemit is very strict when it comes to stealing content online or plagiarism. No whale will want to upvote any plagiarized content because it is against the rule of Steemit. The worst they can do is to flag such posts which affects your reputation.
It is always advisable for every minnows and planktons to stay away from plagiarism if they really want to get upvote from Whales.
6) THE NATURE OR QUALITY OF YOUR POST: Most Steemians who get upvote from Whales were able to attract them through the quality of their posts. How can you expect me to upvote someone who just wrote 2-3 lines of poem or someone who is just spamming the platform just to earn upvote?
The fact is that you have to be productive on the platform by making everyone learn something interesting in your posts. Most Whales loves unique content which contains quality write up that will always make them check out on your blogs because they already love what you post.
The problem with most minnows today is that they don't really know what they can offer on Steemit. They don't even know the niche they are very good at and this is affecting their success on the platform. You just have to stay true to yourself and blog about what you are best at doing. Never imitate other Steemians because they earn high more than you. Just stay true to yourself and find the niche that suits you perfectly.
I believe in blogging about what you love doing most no matter how disgusting it may look to you, you just have to let show it on Steemit. If you are a good writer, start writing. If you are a good video blogger you can engage in vlogging with Dtube. If you are good in taking photo you can start snapping pictures with sheepshot. If you can solve people's problems by answering their questions, you can start making use of musing just like we do here. Remember to always do what you love best and never give up because you will surely be noticed by a whale for your handwork.
7) IMPROPER BEHAVIOR OF SOME MINNOWS TOWARDS WHALES: Thus factor is really affecting some minnows till today because of their improper attitude towards some Whales. As a minnows or plankton you must be very careful about the type of abusive words you use towards some Whales because no one loves to be insulted.
The Whales should be respected for their great impact on Steemit for investing such a great amount on the platform. It is very bad when you throw insult towards them because the whale you abuse today may be connected to more than 20 Whales on Steemit which may deprive you from earning upvote from them.
8) POWER DOWN BY WHALES: There was a time I used to earn close to $0.05 just for commenting on one of my friend's posts. I noticed after commenting recently I wasn't getting that amount of upvote anymore and this made me curious about what could be happening. I had to message her on Discod because she looks very scarce for sometimes on Steemit.
I had to check her blog and to my surprise she had already powered down her steem power but that doesn't stops me from making quality comments on her posts because she used to be very supportive.
Similarly, there is high chance some Whales had already power down their steem due to some financial reasons known to them and they may not want to upvote some minnows posts because they at that time they maybe in need of money.
9) SOME MINNOWS ARE NOT SUPPORTIVE: One of the best tips to earn upvote from Whales and other people is by supporting them. The trick is that you earn the support of others in return if you support them even though it may not work for some people. But supporting each other on Steemit can make successful on the platform.
The sad part about this is that most minnows want to gain upvotes or support from Whales but they themselves aren't ready to support some Whales. How will you get support when you are not ready to support another person? This is why minnows who wishes to earn upvotes must be supportive to some Whales just by providing quality comments and upvotes till they get noticed by such Whales.
In conclusion, the scarcity of upvotes from Whales may be caused by the nature or character of the whale involved or it may result from the actions of minnows or plankton involved.
Thanks for reading and I hope this helps.
I believe this kind of question had been in several discussion since the beginning of this platform. But I will still answer based on my observation from the past 1 year of my stay here.
Let’s just say that they simply don’t have that much time to curate personally to almost anybody in this platform. The fact that they need to spend hours searching thoroughly on posts that were buried deep below the “trending” or “hot” page is a huge waste of their time & energy. I presume that they have a more important business that requires their attention.
Aside from that, another thing that I think affect their behaviour when curating for contents is that, when they vote they are actually giving away their stake or investment to the platform. I’m not saying that they have a problem on distributing their stake, what they might be worried about is to whom will it be distributed to. Put yourself into the Whale’s shoe, do you mind voting for someone that you didn’t even know his/her intention to the platform? I believe they will choose the one that has a long term goal to the platform and not just the ones that will hit & run away with their earnings.
I know that are other reasons behind their curation style but the ones that I mentioned is what I think to be affecting their actions.
On the other hand, I’m not generalizing all Whales since there are some of them who are really creative on how they curate for the Steemians like us. To name a few, Hendrikdegrote (Curie) & Jamesc (Tribesteemup) are doing a great job in distributing their stake. Even though they are not personally curating for planktons & minnows, they delegated their SP to a community that are also doing a great in curating for quality contents.
Take note, there are more Whales that are doing the same thing. Probably you already received a vote from them through a community like Curie. 😊
I'm no whale but I know a little thing or two as to the reason why some whales are reluctant to upvote planktons/minnows.
1. They immediately power down - I've asked one dolphin friend of mine months ago as to the reason why he is so selective on people to upvote and what he told me is that, he used to support and upvote planktons/minnows before, but after a month or two those people immediately got tired of the platform and cash out immediately. What I think whales want on the platform is people who plans to stick in the long run and not dash and go. Whales are hesitant to upvote planktons/minnows because the majority are only here for the money.
2. Plagiarism/Stolen Content - Honestly even me, the first time I read a very well written high quality post from an account with a rep of less than 35, the first thing that will pop up into my head is that this post is stolen. What I could deduce is that is also what some whales are thinking. Whales also don't have the time to check if the post is indeed plagiarized or not so they just let it be.
3. For the profit - The majority of people on Steem are only in here for the money. If they feel that upvoting you or someone wouldn't get them something in return then they will not support you. Probably the reason why circle-voting is very rampant nowadays. To each their own. XD
With community participation , every steemian be it plankton, red fish and minnow gets vote from a whale. The only reason why a steemians will feel attention are not giving to him is when he doesn't involve in communities on discord, apps or new project like musing we are currently in.
One thing newbies, which am also one should understand that whales are too busy and there are millions of post every minute filling the new feeds and only steemians with high reputation could get their post hanging on the feeds for long. So community participation allow active persons to be notice . Thanks
Interesting question, I will help you explain a little why whales in Steemit don't curate Minnow on platforms that are in Steem.
I will invite you to imagine, for example if you want to join Ferrari's car club, can you enter if you don't have a Ferrari sports car? Impossible.
Just like in steemit, if you want to join the pope and get their curation, take your money and invest your money into steem and do the following:
Buy steem and do power ups, so you get the power to curate the account that made the post, so the pope will see you and do the same for your posts.
Buy a Steem power rental service on the Minnowboster.net/lease market or blocktrades.us so you have more steem power for 90 days and curate after that in the whale posting and see they will come to the your post.
Prove this method yourself, and if you succeed in doing this. Let me know and then teach other Minnow to do the same thing as you do.
They sometimes do. But are you aware of how few whales there are among Steemians? The definition of whale is having at least 500,000 SP. There are only a few dozen such accounts on the whole platform. Some are controlled by the same person which means that the number of individuals controlling whale-level SP is even smaller. There are tens of thousands of planktons and minnows active daily on Steem. You cannot possibly expect the whales to frequently upvote or maybe ever upvote but a tiny fraction of the planktons and minnows on the platform.
In my 2 cents opinion. It varies from person to person.The simple answer is Whales are few whereas Plankton & minnows are in bulk numbers so it's impossible for Whales to vote every one. More over whales don't want to drain their voting power less than 80% which means less voting. Quality posting by plankton and minnow is also the cause of concern that whales don't vote copied, under valued contents. A few whales work in their close network. They scratch each other back to maximise profit. These are the main reason that whales don't give votes to plankton & minnow
Most of the whales are very disengaged. They have rented their stake out to the bid bots and are now getting a payment and are most likely not even logging into steemit other than to cash out each week when their power down is complete.